Praying with Music
1. Choose a piece of Christmas music (or any music) that you want to “be with” for the next 15-20 minutes.
2. Relax as you listen to it for the first time. Allow yourself to be drawn into the music as a whole, as though it were being performed just for your ears.
3. Spend an equal amount of time in silence before playing it again.
4. Play the piece a second time. This time let yourself go until you feel yourself merging with the music, until you feel that you are being played as an instrument too. Let the music give you permission to fall into “the lap of God,” the source of the original sound.
5. Again, spend an equal amount of time in silence.
6. Finally write down or doodle any special feelings (positive or negative) or insights that were gained through the sound or the silence. Excerpt from: Spirit Windows, A Handbook of Spiritual Growth Resources by Ann Kulp.